As some of you have heard me complain know my class this quarter is drawing. I can not even pretend that I am the least bit excited about this. I don't enjoy drawing or doodling or sketching or pretty much anything that has to do with using my hands to put a picture on paper. I don't even attempt to play around with drawing. I mean why would I when I have seen what I can do and seen what my 5 year old can do and well its not pretty. Not that I don't encourage my children to try new things, you'll never know if your good at something (or even if your not really good at it, but if you enjoy it) if you don't try. But believe me people I have put a pen to paper on more then one occasion and it doesn't end well. Mostly because it leaves me feeling a bit untalented. I mean we would all like to have a God given talent for these things right? Isn't that the only way to be good at something? You have to start good and then just get better. I am ashamed to admit that deep down inside this is how I feel about most things. Not towards other people, because I am for the most part a cheerleader. I believe that my kids and my husband and for that fact anyone I know, can do anything if they try hard enough and believe in themselves. But that only applies to other people. I have to be perfect the first time I attempt something or its just not something I should be doing. So I have to say that when I turned in my bio for this class I made it very clear that I was "unteachable" as far as drawing goes.
Well I'm two assignments in and its been hard! I am really having to work and then work some more to do these. But the weird part is I think I might be getting better! Not "Oh my gosh, your an artist" better, but wow that second one looks better then the first better. And the second one didn't leave me feeling like a complete failure. (I had a pretty bad taste in my mouth after the first, especially after Ben told me "Here let me show you how to do it." and then proceeded to draw a perfect strawberry, making mine look like something you would hang on the fridge) But here I am, two drawings in and I feel good enough about the second one to blog about them. What do you know, hard work might just pay off. God and his stinkin lessons he has for me.
Well here is the "strawberry" and I use that term loosely. They said draw something from nature and I did, well sort of nature. This strawberry is actually from the basket of strawberry potpourri in my family room. What! It was all I could find while I was watching TV, its not like I was going to go outside and look for something!!! lame I know...
This is the one I turned in today. Not the greatest thing ever put on paper, but I must say it looks better then the strawberry in so many ways. Am I improving at something I have never had a desire to attempt? I will be happy if I can walk away from this class hearing, well your better then when you started.
2 comments:
You and I have exactly the same thoughts on our drawing talent. And now you are moving ahead of me because you actually have some! Looks great! You are making me think of taking a drawing class and I never thought of doing that before. You go girl.
Well, I just may join your little Non Drawers Club. I mean, when my 6 year old can do better than me?! I think it is time to admit that even my stick people have crooked heads. Oh well, guess our talents lie elsewhere. (Mine, not in the kitchen though!!)
Post a Comment