Homework is a new concept to me. Not that I havent had it before, I had plenty of it in high school but something most of you dont know is, I didnt finish high school. I later learned in life (around the age 24) that I have pretty severe ADD. To make matter worse the second year I was in HS they changed to what they called A-B days. So you would have two classes on one day and three classes on the other. Doesnt sound so bad right? Except that we were still there for the full 7 hour school day, which meant on one of those days the two classes where 3 HOURS long! Needless to say this did not mesh well with my then undiagnosed ADD. So first I just stopped going but continued to do all the class work and then I just stopped completely. Thats right, two months into my tenth grade year I completely quit going to school. Now at this point I feel I should mention that I didnt complete my ninth grade year either. A couple of months into that one I convinced my all to accommodating mother that I would do much better if I was home schooled, by me! Back then homeschooling wasnt the machine it has become today. There were no rules by the schools, no one to over see it... just me and a correspondence course. Yeah I dont feel the need to delve into how well that went or even lasted. I'm sure you can guess I got my first book and maybe made it a page in... But my tenth grade year some of my "better" friends convinced me to come back to school. It didnt take long to realize that it wasnt going to work again....
So now as a college student homework is a relatively new concept for me. College is something that I want to achieve at and work hard to be a great student. These days are different, I am not only now on meds for my ADD but that the school actually sees it as a learning disability and is willing to make special accommodations for me. How cool is that? Last night I sat down to try my first crack at hw and I have to say that I went better then I thought it would. I can already tell that English will not be my strong suit. There is a lot of reading and even though I love reading I'm not so great at reading stuff I dont really have any interest in reading. Math on the other hand I could spend hours doing. I'm going to Ace that class I can already tell. I love it. Once I get the basic understanding of something I go to town on it. I did 80 review questions and didnt even bat an eye at it. I think its because math always has an answer, instant gratification. But as for the rest of it... well its gonna take some dedication because I know it will only get harder from here.
I have to say I love my new found freedom and addiction. I love just being at the school. I dreaded the end of the week that on Monday I was having panic attacks about starting. I'm counting the days till the weekend is over and its back to school again. How silly is that? I have spent my whole life thinking of myself as a horrible student and it turns out I just needed to go to college... lol
1 comment:
I think you are AWESOME for going back to school! What a great example for your kids! I would love to go back and do more schooling, and would love it even more if someone would give me a paycheck to do that full-time! (Yay for the GI Bill!) :) Congrats!
Post a Comment