Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Martin's go to San Diego.

Well half of the Martins spent the weekend in San Diego. All thanks to a very persistent and and wonderful nanny. Thats right Katie finally talked me into going down to San Diego to surprise Ben for Valentine's Day. I cant say thank you enough to her for volunteering to spend the whole weekend with the kids. She really is awesome and even without a weekend away, I couldn't get it through a normal week without her! Although I will mention that I'm pretty sure taking care of three kids all weekend by yourself was a bit more work then she thought it was going to be. lol But the kids had a blast and cant stop talking about their super fun weekend with Miss Katie! 
I totally refused to listen to the weather reports for San Diego and packed sundresses and flip flops for my "weekend in the sun". Which turned out to be more like a weekend in WA then a weekend in CA. And on top of that I found out it was very sunny in WA all weekend. lol But rain or no rain I was determined to enjoy our weekend. I got there on Thursday night and spent a nice quiet night at the beautiful hotel that I found right on the Mission Bay. You could see the whole bay from our room. It was quite a sight to wake up to in the morning.  I even found a Chili's to have dinner at!!! That was awesome, we love Chili's and dont have them up here. Then I spent Friday with Ben's bosses girlfriend Lauren. Who was super sweet and lots of fun to hang out with! The guys pulled in around 5:30pm and Ben was totally shocked. Actually, he didn't even recognize me when he got off the boat. It was our first real homecoming on the pier since he was a JO in Va Beach! I couldn't believe how cool I still think seeing the boat pull in is! Its just not something I guess you ever get used to. 
We went to SeaWorld on Valentines day and then had a very romantic dinner at the IN and OUT Burger that night. It was pretty cool to go to this burger place that we have both only heard of. They weren't earth shattering burgers, but the place was packed and we got a t-shirt. 
I twisted my ankle or something at Seaworld so Sunday we slept in and then drove up the coast to La Jolla beach and then down to Coronado. We had dinner downtown that night and then went back to the hotel since I had to be up really really early the next morning.
It was just an awesome weekend (even with the weather) and so nice to have a little romantic weekend just the two of us. Its been a while and we both needed it.  
Here we are on our way to SeaWorld. It felt totally weird being there without the kids. Not quite as cool as we remembered it being when we were kids. But we are defiantly going to take the kids soon. I know they would love love love it. 
Oh this is our great picture - crappy background pic, figures!
This was Sunday when I finally admitted that I was cold and worn jeans and the only real sweater that I had with me. 
The rocks were so pretty and the waves were huge. The water was so very clear and you could see these huge kelp beds. No somewhere I would ever swim. 

1 comment:

Mommy said...

Looks like you guys had a blast. And yes, it was really cool (the ONE TIME I got to see it) to see the submarine come in, before they stopped doing pierside homecomings at Bangor. Oh well. Glad you had a great weekend!

background