Monday, December 28, 2009

Family Dinners... Are they really worth it?

Okay, so I am at my wits end. Food has always been an issue around here when it comes to George. He is just not an eater. Actually thats not true, he loves to eat... sandwiches, crackers, muffins, pancakes, french toast and pretty much any other breakfast food you can think off. Plus he will pretty much eat with no questions asked at any point in the day... Any point in the day that is except dinner time. Nope dinner time is a complete nightmare around here and has been since about the time George started to talk. That was right about the time that we started expecting him to eat whatever we were eating and right about the time he realized that he didnt have to if he didnt want to and that there was pretty much nothing we could do to make him. We have tried many different approaches to his picking eating habits. I've made him take a "thank you" bite of foods, I've given him smaller portions, tried cooking only things I know he likes (that got old really fast) and just given in at times and given him something that he will eat instead... I am losing it. At this point I have no idea what to do anymore. Part of me just wants to believe that he wont spend the rest of his life eating pb&j and part of me wants to think, "well maybe he will" I just dont want him growing up remembering family dinners as a battle zone. I want him to cherish the memories that we make by making a point to always sit down as a family to eat. I want him to look forward to dinner, not dread it all day long. What is it about dinner that makes him act this way. I dont have this problem with any other meal. Granted breakfast and lunch are always pretty much stuff that he really likes, but he gets up to the table eats it all and then goes and plays. I'm in crisis mode here people. At this point I'm willing to try anything and I'm about to give up... HELP

3 comments:

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

Hey Girly!! I seen you commented on ADOPTIVE MOMMA OF TWO's blog! I am also a proud adoptive momma of one sassy 6 year old girl! I am so glad you posted about this but I can't help you as I am in kinda the same boat. In fact last week I meet with a nutritionist about Mist her eating habits. I am ready to see some other parents advice! I will tell you that the lady I meet with set and talked with me for almost an hour about Mist and her eating habits and fave foods and she had some really good ideas! I will post a blog about it later!:)

Mommy said...

Good luck with that. See, I thought it was just my kid (reacting to the medications) and not wanting to eat anything at all. He doesn't even like that many foods, so half the time we end up "topping him off" with a Carnation Instant Breakfast before bed. Our docs have said they're not worried because he is gaining weight overall, but it is definitely a struggle. I feel for ya!! Hang in there and know you have my love and support!!

Unknown said...

I am so right there with you. Your George & my Bo sound a LOT alike. Sometimes he says his fave color is pink too.

background